21 Things That Teenagers Did In 1999 Which Youngsters Today Just Won’t Understand
1999 was a crazy time when people were waiting for the new millennium to start (Y2k, anyone?) and Blockbuster was turning a huge annual profit. The internet was still very much in its infancy, and plus who could be bothered to wait five minutes for the dial-up to finish? Floppy disks were only just on their way out, and found themselves replaced by snazzy CD-ROMs instead. In the article below, we’ve put together a list of 21 things that teenagers today will be scratching their heads at…
From Napster to TV/VCR combos, you’ll be amazed at just how far along technology has come in the last 20 years. Enjoy!
21. There was no such thing as streaming so we had to go down to Blockbuster or the local video shop if we wanted to watch a movie
20. We had to wait about five minutes for AOL to dial up on our desktop computer if we wanted to use the internet
Remember this loading screen?!
19. LimeWire and Napster were a must-have if you were a music fan…great for burning CDs!
18. Instead of Riverdale we had Dawson’s Creek
Definitely far superior to anything on Netflix today…
17. And Buffy the Vampire Slayer was far superior to Sabrina
16. Britney Spears was the biggest pop star on the planet
Ariana Grande is nowhere near as huge as Britney.
15. And here she is wearing one of 1999s must-have purchases – a pair of Skechers
14. Everyone was terrified about Y2K
No really, people were genuinely concerned that the world was about to end.
13. Star Wars – Episode I: The Phantom Menace was the biggest movie event in history because there hadn’t been a new Star Wars film for 16 years
12. Your bedroom was the coolest if you could afford a TV/VCR combo
Check out that picture quality!
11. This is what Apple Macs used to look like in 1999
10. There was no such thing as Wikipedia/the internet really so you had to use Microsoft Encarta if you wanted to look something up
Everybody had a copy of this somewhere in their computer room.
9. Everybody in the 90s remembers how epic this game was:
8. And we used to love playing Mario Kart split-screen with our friends on the N64
One of the greatest games of all time?
7. You couldn’t walk into any shop without hearing ‘Believe’ by Cher
6. Lauryn Hill was in the middle of taking over the music scene with her Miseducation album
When hip-hop was clever and creative.
5. Everybody used to drink Fruitopia
4. Rather than mobile phones, people still used pagers
Yes that strange object can actually send messages!