Paul Reubens was the star of this film as he was already well known as Pee-Wee Herman from his hit TV show ‘Pee-Wee’s Playhouse’. However, in 1985 this became his feature film and it was fantastic! I mean, you have to understand his appeal to all of us back then because plenty of us could relate to this goofy character with a good heart who just goes through life on his amazing bicycle. He’s the perfect 80s nerd with a style that was all his own! Now, let’s take a look at some things that you probably don’t know about this film that is now a classic.
1. Paul Reubens was a big fan of Frankenweenie ever since he first saw it in 1984.
It’s a live-action animation.
2. The animator of this movie was recently fired from Disney.
Pee-Wee hired him to direct this feature film. Disney fired Tim Burton!
3. He noticed that most people rode bikes around the studio.
He asked for his own.
He fell in love with the 1940s Schinn that he got.
So much so that he abandoned his first script idea and started writing a new one about his bike.
4. Dotty (played by E.G. Daily) was the voice for Tommy Pickles in ‘Rugrats’.
5. Large Marge kept her eyes open the whole time she was telling her spooky story in the truck.
6. Tim Burton asked the leader of Oingo Boingo to score the movie.
He reluctantly agreed.